Wednesday 18 February 2009

Arrival in Dubai


Hi There! It's already the third day since my arrival in Dubai, and I can say I've already learned a lot - largely thanks to several people giving me their time.

The flight to Dubai was smooth, cruising at top speeds of about 950 km/h at roughly 10 km above the ground for five and half hours, even though we had an hour's delay from the start - and of course there was a big lady sitting to my left and reliably blocking the way snoring whenever I needed to get past her...

Apart from that, it was reading the German newspapers for a last time and catching up with background about the region's culture - especially the business section: how you should not use your left hand when passing things to someone (as the left is considered dirty), that small talk is maybe even more important than in Western cultures, with first meetings often covering more private life than what we consider actual business issues, that people here tend to be more flexible with time and so forth.
Even though I get more than just a distinct feeling that for the sort of people I'll be working with, the sort of details about Arabian manners is not too relevant. There are many expats in the office and in Dubai in general; in fact, 80 percent of the population here is said to be from foreign countries such as Pakistan, India, and basically from all over the world. Dubai is different from the rest of Arabia, a true modern melting pot of people and ideas at the junction of Europa, Africa and Asia.

The immigration was easy too: a turban wearing officer in long white robes sternly looked at me for a while, asked me why I'd like to enter Dubai and where I would stay, mumbled something incomprehensible into his black beard, and gave me a stamp in my passport (free of charge, by the way).
The airport itself is a flashy modern building showcasing what we all think we know about Dubai: big, extravagant, expensive. A representative from the hotel came to pick me up, very convenient especially with a long flight in your back. Just a quick dip into a telecoms shop to get a pre-paid sim card, then off to the hotel. The hotel is quite nice - located in an area called Bur Dubai (not to be confused with "Burj Dubai", the world's largest tower since March 2008), very close to the mouth of the Dubai Creek which divides the city in two parts. Restaurants and shops nearby, and a comparatively (in Dubai terms!) easy car ride to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment