Wednesday 8 April 2009

Paradise Found

A scene like from a paradise wallpaper, and just as tranquil as it looks. It's on the East coast of the UAE, in the emirate of Fujairah - and one of the places I visited during the trip I mentioned in earlier posts. I decided to just sit and simply exist for a while there.

People are very friendly here. I greeted two men in passing at the beach pictured above and was promptly invited to sit with them, have something to drink and a talk. It turned out one was from Fujairah's defense ministry, the other a high-ranking police officer - who proudly showed pictures of himself in uniform, looking real grim and intimidating, and groomed like an actor minutes before the next take for a Hollywood movie at the same time. No messin' around with me!, it said. But being in his spare time, he was just nice and told stories about the trips he's doing every year in summer when the weather here becomes so hot and humid that many leave the country for a while, drew a map to his favourite fishing spot for me and paid for my drink.

By the way, it appears that it is not unusual to meet people involved with government in Fujairah. I was told the authorities are one of the most important employers there.

No comments:

Post a Comment