Sunday 1 March 2009

Getting round

Having tried to get an overview of the city last weekend, I decided to check out a few things in more detail now. High up on the list: nightlife ;-) After all, Dubai has a reputation for its numerous clubs in every style imaginable, popular especially among foreigners as they, often belonging to international hotels, are licensed to sell anything you might want to drink on a night out.

So I joined a colleague and a group of Indians on Thursday night (having worked till late on a presentation I felt I deserved a drink) to go for a Cuba bar in Jumeirah, which proved to be a great start into the weekend. Even though it somehow slowed down my start the next morning... Good thing you don't need your head for duties such as washing and doing some grocery shopping.

Later the day, I just followed random streets in Bur Dubai for a while just to see how it is here and to get a feel for everyday life on the street - which is very busy on the weekend, with people swarming all about the area, shopping, getting other things done. And constant chatter in foreign languages everywhere. I really like the small food stands which sell the best fast food you can imagine from India, Lebanon or other countries at miniscule prices: spicy Samosas, Shawarma, pastry, deep-fried banana or any possible vegetable covered in a dough coating and then fried in oil, and much more. I ended up on the banks of the Creek once more, which have become one of my favourite areas of the city so far, where a steady breeze cooled down the afternoon heat. I visited Heritage Village, a reconstructed area of traditional buildings, small museums, artists' stands and food places.

I spent Friday evening with a friend from Germany and, later, with some random guys from Australia, close to the Burj Al Arab - in a bar with a spectacular 360 degrees view over the nightly sea, with the city's jagged skyline including Burj Dubai at the horizon and the fantastically lit Burj Al Arab behind me. Great evening there - especially, as some Ron from Australia and his friends insisted on inviting me for a drink, and I enjoyed the mild evening temperature and groovy lounge music. There seems to be some sort of feeling of comradship between some expats, very informal and sort of a best friends-attitude from moment one till the end of the evening. After a while, I settled in a comfy divan bed facing the sea, glass in one hand, looked out at the skyline and contemplated life, universe and the rest for some time. Happy and with a distinct feeling of having thought really big thoughts, I finally left for home. The picture above is the 360 bar.

Come back tomorrow, if you wish, for (probably, if time permits) a few lines on my Jumeirah Mosque visit Saturday morning, first small-scale shopping spree and some relaxed beach life in Jumeirah beach park.

1 comment:

  1. Man you are a poet. What a pleasant reading this was!

    ReplyDelete