Sunday 29 March 2009

Yes, it does rain in Dubai!

One of the things people come here for is the sun. And indeed, the typical Dubai climate is sunny throughout the year. In summer, it can even be extremely hot, and air humidity can make going outside almost unbearable. Apparently, many people try to spend a part of the summer months outside of the country.

That is the big picture. Now look at the small picture to the left. To win the virtual prize of 10,000 Dhs, answer the following question: "What, in this picture, is actually missing?". The right answer, of course, is "The sun". Now, if you look at the figure for rainfall in March here, you will see it says "10 mm". I had clearly more than that in my shoes after only walking to my car last Thursday evening. What I'm experiencing right now is the third day in a row with cloudy sky, and at least one period of rainfall every day, with a true little storm including some hail last week. And it's supposed not to change much till about April 2 (see also the weather forecast at the end of this page). I'm told this is becoming a regular weather phenomenon around March. But, I'm reassured, the hail is something special! Great. Lucky me.

Time to make alternative plans for spare time activities. Good there are things like Cirque de Soleil in town, which I'm going to see this Wednesday. Who wants beach all the time anyway! Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment